Blush and Copper Elegance Styled Shoot

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

How Do I Change My Last Name?

Becoming married is an exciting and happy time for most couples, but there are so many details. One very important detail for many couples is the taking of the spouse’s last name. There are different rules and regulations for each state but here in the state of Michigan to change your last name there are a few steps that you need to do to embrace your new name.
To begin you have to have applied for a marriage license from your county clerk and have it signed on the day of your wedding. If you have been previously married you must provide a valid proof of divorce or death of spouse to request a new marriage license.
Now you must request a certified copy of your marriage license from the county clerk’s office where you were married. Many charge some sort of fee for this. It is different depending which county you were married in.
            Then take the marriage license to a local Michigan Dept. of State branch and get a new drivers license with your new name. However there is a fee for this also, if you are close to the expiration date of your license this may count towards your new one.
            After these steps have been achieved take you marriage license and ID to the local Social Security Administration office to apply for a replacement Social Security Card. There is a form you can print (SSA name-change form) and bring with you to save time. There is no fee and your card should arrive within 10-15 business days.
            Inform your bank, insurance, credit card, ect.. company’s and change your name after you receive your ID’s. 
            We hope that you encounter little to no problems changing your name and congratulate you on your newlywed status!

For help planning your perfect wedding contact or call 248-408-4602

Photo and Information Credits:

No comments: