Thursday, February 11, 2010
Why you should send Save The Dates.....
This article is compliments of Checkerboard and will really help you decide whether you should send a save the date or not!
The Why, When and So Many Ways
of Save the Dates by Checkerboard
With the increased popularity of destination weddings, milestone birthdays and anniversaries, and even the
latest trend in destination bar and bat mitzvahs, it’s incredibly important to plan well in advance these days.
Some of the best reasons for your clients to send a save the date:
• Their friends and family are far away from where the event will be held
• The event will be at a popular vacation spot or will require special travel arrangements
• Activities associated with the event will span several days
• The event is occurring on a holiday weekend or during a high-travel time.
• Memorial Day weekend
• Independence Day, July 4th or the celebratory weekend that coincides
• Labor Day weekend
• Newport, RI during the International Boat Show in September
• New Orleans, LA during Mardi Gras in February or the Jazz and Heritage Festival in April
• San Francisco, CA during the Gay, Lesbian and Transgender Parade in June
• Or any city during a major sporting event
Sending a save the date helps your clients’ loved ones arrange time and allocate expenses, increasing the
chances they will attend the special event.
It’s best to start circulating the news for a major event approximately six months prior to the big day. If the
affair is particularly far away or coincides with one of the dates listed above or one similar, your client should
potentially send a save the date as much as one year in advance. This creates a window of time for the
invitees to book travel, organize finances, schedule time away from the office if necessary and make
arrangements for small children that may not be attending the event.
PLEASE NOTE: If save the dates are sent too far in advance, they may be discarded. If sent too late, they may
as well be invitations. It’s important to gauge the “magnitude” of the event—this determines when the save
the dates should be sent.
Invitations and announcements can be simple and elegant or boldly eye-catching; most important is that they
represent the unique individuals sending them and the tone of the event. Save the dates present a perfect
opportunity to convey “personality” that many couples may choose to forgo for the formal invitation. In
Checkerboard’s Save the Date album a variety of designs are offered ranging from sleek and stylish to
playful, appealing to both whimsical and well-organized clients.
If you would like to preview some of the Checkerboard save the dates click here save the dates by Checkerboard Please contact us to place your order at firstname.lastname@example.org